Re: Redondo and Edith Steane

  • Subject: Re: Redondo and Edith Steane
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:21:05 -0700

Hi Sandy,

I just had the (bright?) idea that in dark dwarfs, the stigma may usually have
some small amount of red pigment in it -- just because the dd's tend to have
that red in their tissues.  So even if a dark dwarf variety had the allele for
"white stigma," in fact red/pink pigment could be present from some other
genetic source.

You mentioned once before that in your collection the distinction between red
and white stigma wasn't all that absolute.  And I know your collection is
mostly (all?) dwarf varieties.  The dwarfs vary as to how dark and how reddish
their foliage is.  Differing loads of red/pink pigment in the plant as a whole
could account for the variation you see in the stigmas.

In my notes, based on standard zonals, the distinction between red and white
seems complete.  But I don't have (and never have had) a large enough
collection to make a meaningful survey.  It would be great if someone with a
large collection (or dealer stock, cough-cough!) of zonals could make that
survey and let us all know.

In the meantime, let me know when your greenhouse is blooming like crazy again,
and I'll enjoy having a look!

--- Sandy Connerley <sandy_connerley@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
> Well, I don't have lots blooming right now, but there certainly are not lots
> with pure white stigmas.  Tatoo has a white stigma.  There are so many subtle
> variations in the color of the stigma, really quite lovely.  I do think the
> color of the stigma in relation to the leaf may be inherent to the breeding
> line.  When my greenhouse is blooming like crazy again, you will have to come
> up and inspect.

Do you Yahoo!?