Re: Comparisons

  • Subject: Re: Comparisons
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:57:57 -0700

Maria,

In what ways did you find hybrids from Black Velvet Rose unsatisfactory?

The black blotched leaf is tempting to work with, of course, but some of my
potted specimens, now approaching two years old (1) are not very free-branching
(that is, there seems little budding energy low on the plant -- but it could be
that I am not feeding them enough or pinching deeply enough); (2) have poor
petal retention -- I have yet to get an umbel all in flower at the same time.

It's probably a matter of culture, but as I think has been mentioned here
before (or on the Yahoo! group), the zone does not uniformly reach to the
center of the leaves in my specimens, like in the catalog picture.  If anybody
has advice how to maximize the "black," I'd like to hear it.

Best regards,

Barry