Re: Redondo and Edith Steane

Barry,

Very interesting.  The yellow pad will have to go back out to the greenhouse, or maybe I should make a chart!  Yes, almost all of my plants are miniature or dwarf, and unless it is special for some reason, am even eliminating the large dwarfs.  You can have more that way!  But, I really want people to love these as windowsill plants.  They are so cheerful and do well in houses with wood heat where my old fern collection was suffering.

Guess after I take a few purples for Bill, will have to let the plants get happy.  Will definitely let you know, and would be nice if both you and Bill could come up when the seedlings are blooming to help in selection.

Sandy

Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Hi Sandy,

I just had the (bright?) idea that in dark dwarfs, the stigma may usually have
some small amount of red pigment in it -- just because the dd's tend to have
that red in their tissues. So even if a dark dwarf variety had the allele for
"white stigma," in fact red/pink pigment could be present from some other
genetic source.

You mentioned once before that in your collection the distinction between red
and white stigma wasn't all that absolute. And I know your collection is
mostly (all?) dwarf varieties. The dwarfs vary as to how dark and how reddish
their foliage is. Differing loads of red/pink pigment in the plant as a whole
could account for the variation you see in the stigmas.

In my notes, based on standard zonals, the distinction between red and white
seems complete. But I don't have (and never have had) a large enough
collection to make a meaningful survey. It would be great if someone with a
large collection (or dealer stock, cough-cough!) of zonals could make that
survey and let us all know.

In the meantime, let me know when your greenhouse is blooming like crazy again,
and I'll enjoy having a look!