Re: White stigmas

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the descripton of Foxfire.  Sounds delightful.

Well, not sure if you messed up re Dulcie or not, but my Bagust book, from 1988, says:

Dulcie (Parrett pre-1973) Large single scarlet miniature with white eye, blushed Tyrian-rose.  Mid-green foliage.

I don't have the 1968 Bagust book, so cannot see if this was a change.

Vectis Glitter that I mentioned is a white stellar with red spots and splashes.  Sometimes it is described as light salmon with the splashes, but this is incorrect.  It is by Brian West on the Isle of Wight off the south coast of England.  The name for this location under Roman rule was Vectis, probably a Celtic word.  Brian uses the prefix Vectis, but not on all of his plants.

And, thanks for making me check.  I try to get these down correctly, but always worry.  I have Miller's Baby Brocade, but guess it is not like the original as it sports, and mine is the sported one.  Faye recommends getting rid of it, and I will after I watch it bloom a few more times.  The outer edges of petals are red, fading to a white eye, but there is way too much red for the correct version.

Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Hi Sandy,

You asked about Foxfire. It is a dark dwarf, stature medium (Marilyn Holt
ranks it as "miniature," meaning "Planted in a 3½ inch pot these plants will
not exceed five inches in height"), with fairly large single flowers of pale
silvery orchid. The flower has a small white center (and a white stigma as I
recall); on opening the white center has a slight greenish cast. Protected
from ultraviolet light, it holds these delicate colors well. The leaves are
green with a not very prominent darker green zone under some lighting

ps. -- can there be two "Dulcies"? In my data there is an entry, probably
copied from the second Harold Bagust book, of "Dulcie" as a double salmon. Did
I mess up?

--- Sandy Connerley wrote:

> Hi Barry,
> Well, on first glance, Dulcie has a white stigma. Her flowers are single,
> soft scarlet with white eyes on the upper two petals. Her leaves are medium
> green and zoneless. Vectis Glitter stellar has a white stigma, medium green
> leaves with a green zone. Will keep at this.
> Sandy

Do you Yahoo!?