Re: Greensburg is in southeastern Indiana

  • Subject: Re: Greensburg is in southeastern Indiana
  • From: maria guzman <mirror@3RIVERS.NET>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:51:34 -0600

Yes Kent, I understand the general public's desire for some 'bright color'
and more of it!  You can't expect many people to become overnight
horticulturists with the monomania and eye for the subtler aspects that
usually develops.

I bought a couple of unnamed geraniums (excuse me, 'pelargoniums') this
summer from WalMart.  One is compact with darkish leaves and great purple
umbels, the other even more compact with very dark leaves and dazzling
fiery red large trusses.  The purple seems to be sterile and really the
blossoms are shapeless double blobs though the overall effect is quite
decorative.  The red, a single, produces pollen which I'm trying to cross
to  my own hybrids.  No results yet.  I too want the effect of 'bright
color and more of it' on a dwarf plant.

BTW do commercial nurseries spray or water their pelargoniums with an
inhibitor that temporarily prevents self-pollination?  None of the WalMart
plants on the benches showed any seed cases, although my red now produces
them lavishly.  I'll try germinating some & see what occurs.

I'm curious what 'different varieties' you just threw out?

p.s.  I know southern Indiana, it's very pretty country.  I live on the
Montana Rocky Mt'n Front where it *really* gets cold in winter tho fairly
dry.  Some of my larger Pels. are in an unheated sunroom and I keep them
there unless the outdoor temp. goes down toward zero F.  They can take -
and seem to thrive on - quite cold overnight temperatures close to 32
degrees, even the seedlings.  (But not running a commercial nursery I can
afford to take chances.)