Re: [IGS] G. macrorrhizum "Mount Olympus"

Hi there,

I have seen the various messages crossing regarding this plant.  Assuming
that this is the white flowered plant collected a few years ago by Ness
Botanic Gardens, the name should be 'White-Ness', not 'Whiteness' or 'Mount
Olympus'.  The name was chosen by the collectors and highlights the name of
the garden.  As it happens, I met their deputy director only a couple of
weeks ago and confirmed this with him.

I am not sure where the name 'Mount Olympus' originated.  I imagine that
confusion arose from the initial circulation of seed which contained a note
that it was 'ex Mount Olympus', meaning that it was collected there.  This
was compounded by one of the Geranium seed lists using that as a cultivar
name, which it was not.

In addition, unless 'Mount Olympus' was validly published as a name (with a
description et al), before 'White-Ness' and there is not discernible
difference between the plants, the former would merely be a synonym of the
latter.

I hope that helps.
Best Regards,
David Victor

Saxifragaceae, Geraniaceae, Arisaema, Cape bulbs, Paeonia, Salvias, Irids
and anything else that is beautiful

Hockliffe, Bedfordshire, England, UK
Zone 7