Re: Geraniums Around the World

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Geraniums Around the World
  • From: Karen Prytula <chelseaa@SPRINT.CA>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:22:42 -0600

Hello and Thanks you for responding...

I thought of pruning them, but was afraid to cut of too much due to the fact
that they are quite big, the biggest being about 36 in. high.  I like them
big, however, I think I would like them to look and bloom better.

> If you are overwintering P.peltatum ('trailing geraniums') it is wise to=
>  prune them down to stubs and let them grow new stems/leaves as the
>  advances.  They will look and bloom better.  Pelargoniums are highly=
>  light-sensitive, and some species even more so than others.
I think though, I might cut them down a bit and use the cuttings to start
new plants.

> Pruning after bringing them in from the garden would most likely help the=
>  appearance of these as well (unless you want them to grow very large). =
>  Pellies tend to develop gnarled, trunklike stems with age, and while
>  is natural and doesn't matter in places like California (or S.Africa)
>  they live outdoors year-round and become shrubs, it can be rather
>  in a portable pot.
> Or, you could take cuttings and start new plants.
> But I have 2 large pots of a nameless red garden pelargonium sitting in a
>  window, which is blooming a bit, but not in it's summer magnificence.
>  varieties are much more floriferous - under almost any conditions - than
> hers.
Well my pop is empty right now , so I am going to take this opportunity to
take some cuttings right now.

Thanks Maria,