cuttings

My mom and I take cuttings every fall of our pelargonums.  We usually take
them in Sept. or Oct. before the first frost in this area.  We grow mostly
scenteds, rosebuds and some regals.
Our cuttings are 3" to 4" long, we make an angled cut with a sharp knife at a
leaf node and use a soiless mix to plant them in.  Half peat and half
vermiculite works well too.  Also remember to remove the little tiny leaf
like things that are on each leaf node.  These tend to rot when buried in the
dirt.  I put 3 or 4 cuttings in each 4" pot and transplant later once they
have rooted.  These pots are placed on stands with flourescent shop light
fixtures attached.  In each light I use one cool white bulb and one warm
white bulb.
The combination of the 2 different bulbs simulates daylight and is less
expensive than the grow light bulbs.  I have these lights on timers so the
cuttings get 12 hours of light daily.  I check the cuttings for water every
other day.  Most of these grow for us.  A few varieties are more difficult
and don't work like the small Lemon Crispum and French Lace varieties.  But
we usually have more than we can plant the following spring and end up giving
many away.  My mom also has a greenhouse where she overwinters some of her
larger potted plants.  My cuttings are on their stands down in my basement.
After years of experimenting with different methods of taking cuttings this
is what has worked best for us.  We have never tried the heating cables for
bottom heat.  Maybe that would help with some of the more difficult ones.

Happy New Year!
Angie from Ohio