Re: Geranium "Vancouver Centennial'

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Geranium "Vancouver Centennial'
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:17:04 -0700

>I am new here and suppose this may be an old question.
>I buy one of these every year and every winter (indoors) it dies.  The
>leaves sort of wilt one by one and finally I have no plant.
>
>I do have more than twenty dwarf or species pelargoniums and most do well
>under lights in a cold room, growing pretty dry in the winter months.
>
>Vancouver Centennial plus another one by Fischer this summer which looks
>identical both wilt and die by January.  Should this plant have something
>different?  What is different about this cultivar?
>
>C A Peplowski
>NYS z4

I took a cutting of V.C. from my very large pot when I moved from Montana
to New Mexico last spring. It took ages to root, unlike some other
stellars, and I still hover over it like a mother hen.  I keep it dry until
the leaves begin to go soft, and give it as much natural sunlight as
possible in winter (N.M. summer sun at 7,000' can burn a lot of plants).  I
believe light is the critical factor here.  Try placing yours in a south
window in the heated part of your house.  It's worth saving because a
large, bushy plant with sun-darkened leaves is extremely handsome.  Another
similar pellie but with even darker coloring is 'Purple Heart' which I got
from Faye Brawner.  It seems less temperamental.

Maria Guzman
Taos, NM, zone 3/4