Pelargonium frutetorum

  • Subject: Pelargonium frutetorum
  • From: Richard Riedy burada@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:28:55 -0700

Pelargonium frutetorum.  I have an immense rambling plant of this
species, so large in fact that it takes up an entire window in my tiny, south
facing sun porch.  It came from Faye Brawner's excellent nursery.  The
plant has climbed up to more than half the length of the window (which has
frozen condensate on it at night) as well as running its vine-like stalks
through  neighboring Jasminum polyanthum, Camellia sasanqua, and Meyer
Lemon.  It flowers only once a year and then very briefly, and I have never
seen pollen on the blooms, so no seed.  Is this species noted for its lack
of bloom and seed production, or is it possible I am somehow encouraging it
to be just a beautiful foliage plant?

--- Richard Riedy

--- burada@earthlink.net

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.