Re: winter dormant

  • Subject: Re: winter dormant
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:35:46 -0700

>One of my plants, P pulverulentum, has just started back into growth
again after only producing 2 leaves all summer. What do I do with it? I
cant find out on the 'net if it is a winter or summer grower. Can you
let me know.
Mark

>Mark
>My P. pulverulentum started leafing out in August.  It is on the small side,
>but looks nice and healthy.  I think that this is it's growing period. I hope
>to get flowers in spring.
>Bill

My pulverulentums began to leaf out in late October.  They were growing
fine until I began battling a creeping "grey mold" that kept covering stems
and leaves (a misadventure I posted on Pelargonium).  So I finally tossed
them outdoors as not worth the effort, only to read in Diana Miller this is
a natural bloom -  like on grapes.  In the middle of the night I retrieved
them from the compost but this is Montana and the temps were close to
freezing, and so far they haven't come out of  shock.

On the other hand two other 'winter growers' : rapaceum and oblongatum (
Hoarea), only began to sprout leaves about 10 days ago.  The so-called
rules of cultivation seem to be quite flexible, and the best route is to
follow the lead of the plants.  As a South African member of Fat-Plants
said in answer to a similar question, many of them are as much opportunists
as they are "summer-" or "winter- growers" and will take what is offered,
damn the conventional wisdom.

Really you should get Diana Miller's "Pelargoniums".  Amazon carries it; I
bought a used copy as good as new.  It covers the whole family of
pelargoniums (although could use a bit of up-to-date revision).  An
invaluable resource.

Maria