Re: Pelargonium blight and geranium germination

  • Subject: Re: Pelargonium blight and geranium germination
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:18:31 -0700

Prechilled??  No way, unless you're storing them in the fridge for planting
at a much later date.

What I do is remove the husk (already done in commercially-prepared seeds),
then take a VERY sharp razor blade and snip off a minuscule piece of the
more-pointed tip and/or shave a tiny slice of seed coat from the side,
avoiding the raised bundle (cotyledons I think).  This allows for the
entrance of H2O under the seed coat which speeds things up greatly.  Then
plant in wet medium or on very damp paper towel (covered in plastic bag)
until germination, which frequently commences in no more than two or three
days.  Species seeds may take longer however.  As for light, I just
received a packet of hybrids which states 'keep dark until germination',
and I'm wondering if this is especially applicable to species germination
for which I have a spotty record.