[IGSROBIN] More Ho,Ho,HO.

G'day All,
Well the Golfers will probably know, it's been 40+ these last couple of
days for the President's Cup here in Melbourne.  This morning its a lovely
20 and a nice fresh showery damp morning.
Yesterday one of my Geranium papuanum's flowered.  A pretty star shaped
flower in a bright red-purple or perhaps a purple-red.   Gee its hard to
describe colors sometimes.
It should be a canidate for some human intervention, that is some
hybridization attempts. I have a half-dozen plants all with flower buds so
should be able to get some pollen   It should probably cross with those
tyrants G.sessiliflorum and traversii.  Possibly also G. potentillioides.
All mound forming.  It would be tremendous to introduce the beautiful
glossy leaves of papuanum into a basket plant.  Its flowers are of a good
size too, not the 35mm of the check-list but nearly an inch (25mm) and
combined with traversii should produce a hybrid with  large  glossy leaves
with colors of pink/purple/maybe splashed white hmmm.  Can't wait to get at
it.  My Hillfield Big Red will be my choice.   Its leaves and stems are
strongly deep pink/beetroot red. (photo
at<http://www.users.bigpond.com/SCRIVENS/gepicgal4c.html>
This is probably very boring to all those Zonal people out there but I have
raised a very nice colored leaf Zonal this year ( by a back crossing to P.
frutetorum ) which will gladden the hearts of all those people who like to
show.  A natural very short stemmed plant that remains compact WITHOUT all
that pruning. Will have to wait a year or two to see what developes as it
matures but at the moment I am feeling pretty pleased with myself.
GTAW has still not turned up as yet.  How about the other overseas people?
Are they still also waiting?
Regards
Alby
Geraniaceae is all around the World