Re: Pelargonium fragrans

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium fragrans
  • From: "Peter J. Liekkio" <pliekkio@CONNECTEXPRESS.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:14:14 -0800

Hi Ed,

I scaned and OCR'd (did a few ocr corrections though there still are a few
spelling errors) the following  from the Geranium family species check list
part 4 - Pelargonium.

"fragrans Willd..Hort.Berol.,I,p.701 (1809),
entire with a more-or-less
crinkled edge or sometimcs with 2 basal lobcs,scented;flowers in thin
deciduous flowering stems, umbels
of 7-10 small while flowers with narrow petals.
Remnrks: Sweet's speculation in this case turns out to be correct, except
that the reverse cross (with
P.odoratissimum as seed parent) lends to produce plants similar to
F.odoratssimum. Prof.van dcr Walt
points s out thut it is not likely to occur naturally as the two species
occupy quite different habitats.
there arc  now several cultivars named all of this parentage, so the name
P.x fragrans is now more the
name of a hybrid-group, and as such, a Type Cultivar should be named, in
accoridancc with the Code for
Cullivated  Plants, Article 19, and Faye Brawner from the U.S.A. informs us
that the name 'Nutmeg' was
created in 1952 by nurseryman Cook for precisely this, plant; thereforc
solving the problem, the Type
Cultivar being 'Nutmeg'.
The cultivar-group Px- fragrans now contains several other cultivars; 'Old
Spice' is verv similar to
'Nutmeg' bill has a more crinkled, bluer  leaf: 'Snowy Nutmeg' has
whitc-variegaled leaves, 'Cream Nutmeg' leaf is yellowish vriegated."

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle, Washington
pliekkio@connectexpress.com