Re: [IGSrobin] Oglvee drops older varieties

  • Subject: Re: [IGSrobin] Oglvee drops older varieties
  • From: RegalArt@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:53:34 EST

In a message dated 2/19/2006 10:15:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Fenleykent@AOL.COM writes:
Hello this is Kent in Indiana. I was thrown a curve ball when Oglevee dropped most all the older varieties of Pelargoniums. I missed what I thought was a newer variety called Sincerely Yours, which is almost identical to Alex (Kim) only a little larger. I want to find Sincerely Yours. I wish the people at Oglvee would notify growers of geraniums they plan to drop, because they use to do that.
The REGAL PRESERVATION PROJECT just recently gave Oglvee many of their older regal varieties for their California research department in Lompoc that they no longer had.
The bottom line here, is that, it is up to us the collector to keep growing these cultivars and share them with others, otherwise they will indeed disappear. Oglvee has always been interested in developing NEW varieties out of the older cultivars. After a while those older cultivars  are no longer interesting to them and so are cast away, making room for newer cultivars that interest them.
Makes us the collector having a special calling in life in addition to growing pelargoniums. We have the title of Pelargonium preservationist of the older varieties.