Re: [IGS] Fascination? ahhh....Fasciation

Thanks to Cindi, barry, and Marge for the replies about "Fasciaton" (yes
when I read that name the first time, I "saw" an "N" in there that
wasn't really there so I now am try to see it differently.... <Duh> eyes
must be crossing or something <G>. )
Let me take advantage of this reply to welcome Marge to the IGS Robin
Newsgroup. I look forward to your comments and topics in the future.
Cindi: In my copy of the Van Pelt Wilson book, her comments about this
topic were found on Page 273. I seem to have been getting enough info so
far from those in the Robin now but tell Carol Roller that she should
really "get with the 21st century" :-)  . I'm sure we would enjoy
hearing from her.

Barry: Actually your memory is doing fairly well esp. with the name of
the Bacteria involved. However, Van Pelt Wilson would differ with you on
it being the same as crown gall. She states that crown gall is caused by
Agrobacterium tumefaciens and is much more destructive as it actually
checks any future growth of the plant . She identifies this with galls
and knots on the roots and crown whereas fasciation is described as
small shoots and buds from the stem near the soil. (actually on my
Orange Scented plant, it looks more like  the shoots are coming from the
crown and roots rather than the stems but they are definitely small
shoots rather than knots and galls.) However, your description of them
being "cauliflower like" growths seems to hit the nail on the head from
what I am seeing. There evidently is a theory by atleast one person that
the use of rooting hormones may trigger the activity with some plants
being more prone than others. Don't know if the plants that I have had
rooting hormone used on them but I have taken cuttings off my 'Orange'
using rooting hormone without any noticeable 'faciation' activity yet so
I can't say that is a cause or not.

Marge: I have 2 of my scented geraniums affected by this and they are
from 2 different sources. My 'Sweet Miriam' came from Logee's ( in
Danielson, Ct.) and my 'Orange' is from a local nursery (Quad City Area
on Iowa/Illinois border ) . Since they come from 2 different parts of
the country, I wonder if it isn't more common than any of us can tell
right now.
Your experience with the digitalis sounds "fascinating" :-) . I may
scrape these growths off my plants and see if they can exist on their
own. It may be an interesting experiment to see what they will turn into
. I have taken tip cuttings off of the affected 'Orange' plant that seem
to be quite normal for the time being.
Your description of a "flat ribbonlike shape as though several stems are
joined together" and Barry's "cauliflower shaped" growths both have
similarities to what I am seeing (even though those 2 descriptions may
seem to be describing somewhat opposite types of growths ) .
Well this has been interesting. If anybody has anything else to share
about this unusual growth pattern, feel free to share further. I will be
sure to let you all know if I get some new life forms when I scrape the
growths off and try to grow them on their own.

Thanks again,

P.S. The correct spelling of "Fasciation" has been driving my spell
checker crazy <BG> .