[IGSROBIN] Brouwer - Geranium arboreum

Dear Peter,

I am sorry to disappoint you because I would dearly love to give you
seed of Geranium arboreum, but it really is protected, if not by CITES,
then by the National Park Service.  The plant's habitat is under
terrible threat by cattle and wild pigs, and it really is only now
growing in steep ravines where these appalling animals can't get to it.
When I last saw it, there was practiclly no seed, and although the
plants appeared to be suckering at the base, the leaves seem to have
some kind of fungal disease, and were distorted and brown.  The plant is
pollinated by sun birds, who themselves are endangered.

I very much doubt if the plant can be maintained in cultivation, because
it seems to need a combination of volcanic soil, high altitude, fog, and
rain to keep it happy.  I saw it briefly at Cambridge Universiy, years
ago, as a six inch plant in a pot, but it looked sick and disease
ridden.

Kind regards, and I will make a note of your new address.

Robin Parer
Geraniaceae