Re: [IGSROBIN] Ceramic vs Plastic Pots

I should not have asked! You've obviously been over the territory, at least
once. Very interesting. Come to think of it perhaps YOU ought to write an
article on the subject! I agree with you on the white pots - did you hear my
question at the last meeting about the use of white material? It becomes
brittle very quickly; I had to throw away nearly a full box of containers.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about a new bench project in which the sides of the
bench are raised (about 12 inches) so that the plants sit in a container at
bench height. In that benchtop container, with plants next to each other the
sides would not be exposed to the sun. I might even go one better and fill
the spaces between pots with poly insulation chips up to a height just below
pot level. A little messy when you have to move pots but it may be worth the
effort, but that may not be too bad if the large size of insulation chip
material is used. Of course, there is nothing to prevent you using thin
(half inch thick) sheets of insulation that you could easily cut up to make
an egg-crate container that would allow you put each pot in its own little

San Diego, California