  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Fw: Grex
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:22:23 -0800
  • Comments: To: cacti_etc@opus.hpl.hp.com
  • Comments: cc: other_succulents <other_succulents@onelist.com>

Hi all, with some trepidation I raise this issue.

Looking for some input on the concept of the grex.  This thread originated
on the bromeliad listserv but I think there may knowledgeable folks on these
lists that could make useful input.

My original question is below "Uncle Derek" Butcher's contribution.  The
main reason I'm tracking this down is to get the proper, concise word to
describe a group of seedlings.  In keeping database records there must be
something better than "seedling group" or "seed batch" as a reference to a
sowing of seeds.  Most of mine are not hybrids between recognized taxa but
they are crosses between documented plants or  between or within "seedling
groups" of documented origin.

For example, if you buy a package of seeds from Mesa Garden it may carry a
reference to collection data.  A Cephalophyllum sp.. (MG# 1359.36) is
referred to SB1449.  SB1449 could be a collected plant or seed capsule or
group of capsules from a population, etc.  (Just what do you do Steve
-)>  )   In any case the seed one grows from this package form a distinct
documented group of plants.  The seedlings that emerge are referred to the
collection number but do not represent the collection directly.  I need a
good word(s) to describe such situations.

Grex clearly is appropriate to use for crosses between taxa or hybrids.
Does it apply to the situation I described above?

Phil Bunch      Please read on!