Re: [IGSROBIN] observations

HI Robin,

> lists.  and this is the only one without prima donnas, doctranire
experts, >and contentious quotidians.

That's because you haven't met me yet :-) .

Seriously though, There are many on the list that I would consider by
their extensive experience, love for geraniums and/or credentials as
being "authorities" . The nice thing of it is, I think they all want to
share that knowledge knowing that we all gain from it.

Being one that is easily overwhelmed , I am inspired by hearing that
others having much more going on in their lives are doing what I want to
do inspite of other obligations.

Hat's off to Mimi who still finds time to make computer list, keep her
plants going, raise cats, as well as having a demanding career.

Everytime I hear Cindi tell of her runins with either her dog or her
neighbor's dog , I wonder how she can pick up and get started again.
This year has been a fight for me to battle with a dog that my daughter
brought home one day without warning or asking me. I've lost a few
plants and have reevaluated my urge to collect to include only favorites
and very rugged perennials. (Now all I need to do is decide which are my
favorites <G>). My daughter has agreed that it is time to find a new
home for Paco but..... We have fostered him out too 2 homes so far and
they have brought him back. The last time , He was gone a week and I
really thought we had found a match but then I came home to find him in
my back yard with his things on the front porch in a grocery bag and no
note. Upon further investigation, I found he had chewed one too many
rugs up <sigh> (I've gone through 2 couches and a nuimber of rugs myself
since he has been here ). Could I interest anyone out there in a 1 year
old beagle/lab mix? He is very loyal and loving <sigh>.

I've been drooling over my new Richter's Herb catalogue these last few
days. They have a fairly good selection of scented Pelargoniums, one or
2 hardy geraniums but they really excel in unusual and new
species/subspecies and cultivars of other herbs. Of interest to us
geranium lovers is a Monarda strain that is fairly new (they are
limiting one per order right now) that has a very high geraniol oil
content making it have the fragrance of a rose scented Pellie .. YES!
Dave MIght be interested in the New Mentha offerings. (BTW Thanks for
taking over the ownership role for the list when Diane was changing
things around. I really appreciate it. ) I have 10 -12 (depending what
has made it through the winter) Menthas growing in my little part of the
world . Richters now have a new peppermint called Swiss Ricola MInt that
is used to flavor the Ricola herbal candies/throat longes. Also a new
Banana MInt and one called "Hillary's Sweet Lemon MInt" (A particularly
aggressive "female" plant <G> with lavender spikes ). Enough about other
plant families... I have a feeling my credit card will see some real
action soon <sigh>.

Note to Cindi... I have seen you post a few messages where you refer to
a Super soil mix that you mix with perlite. What exactly is Super soil.
I am not familiar with the title? Is it a Homemade mix or a name of a
commercial offering?

I am planning to dig some new beds this year (providing that I don't
have a four-legged helper who thinks he needs to help remix the soil a
little . I have invested in more fencing in the last 12 months than I
ever thought I would). to have some good places for my scenteds to grow.
I am amazed just how big some of them can get in one season. One thing
that I have learned though is to loosen that root ball when you plant
out a pot bound Pellie. I have had some grow into small shrubs then dig
them up at the end ot the season and see the same basic rootball that
they started out with. No wonder some of them blow over so easily when
the wind blows. Others had gone ahead and sent huge roots really deep
inspite of the tight root ball still intact.

I have a number of starts of the Rober's Lemon Rose sport that I
reported about last summer doing well inside. They have slowwed down
growth this winter but I hope to see them bloom this spring to see what
colors they exhibit. Thank You Cindy for telling me to take only a tip
of the sporting stem at first incase the cutting didn't make it. The
first cutting rooted and I was able to get 3 or 4 more by the end of the
season. It seems to be stable so far. I will keep everyone posted as new
info and plants develop. They smell like a strong Rober's so far.

I guess I will send this in so you all will know that I am still alive.
Prodigy Classic (my principle server) has decided that it would be too
expensive to cure the Y2K issues that they face so they have annouced
that they will be closing down shop in October this year. I have signed
onto Prodigy Internet service (They're new service) but have been
undecided if I will stay with that in the future. In any case my present
Email will still work until September atleast when I will be changing
things around alittle.

Hope all is well with all of you. Good to see Alby and Joan Stark coming
through their particular hospital stays well and are back into the swing
of things.

Dale jjca95a@prodigy,com sagecoach@prodigy.net