Re: hybridizing

We also have triploids,diploids and biploids.  The ploidy does effect your
results as differing ploidy's means differing chromozone counts and
therefore the genes can not properly get together . This does not mean
however that a biploid can not cross with a triploid, it just means that
successfull crosses are harder to come by.
There are cultivars which are sterile, others  which have male only or
female only parts.  The latter two however can be crossed with other
cultivars with the required parts. Again the production of viable seed is
pretty dodgy.
I am not aware of any publication which will make life easy for you. I'm
afraid it is very much trial and error stuff. Any way you may succeed with a
particular cross where every one else has failed.
Plants tend to be most uncooperative when it comes to human interventions.
You have to be very observant and ready to pounce when you have the right
combination of ripe pollen and receptive stigmas.
I was lucky to have successfully crossed P.havlasae with P. rodneyanum last
year as the two species usually flower at slightly different times of the
year but last year there was a crossover flowering period.P.rodneyanum
rarely sets seed but P.havlasae is much more cooperative so I concentrated
on rodneyanum as the pollen parent and havlasae as the seed parent. I have
pics of the parents and the result on my web page for any who may be
interested (New hybrids link)
I wish you very good luck with your efforts and commend to all that they try
their hand. It can be one of the most rewarding (usually not financial)
pursuits we can undertake
Geraniaceae is all around the world
mail to:SCRIVENS@bigpond.com