Re: hybridizing

Hello Maria,
Now you've done it. Caught me out. For someone who tries to encourage
complete records I made a hash of the records of  my coloured leaf crossings
3 years ago.  I was using P.frutetorum at the time however I do not believe
that it is a parent of this cultivar. I can tell you that the seed parent is
Retahs Brownie. The pic. does not do it justice, at its best it has leaves
of incredibly glowing scarlet which hold for a long time right up to early
summer.  The flower is the same as Brownie and this may well be a self. It
first came to my attention as a seedling due to the short distance between
the nodes which indicated a compact grower which proved to be the case. It
is a solid grower but not vigorous.  Perhaps one day I may send some
cuttings to the States for you to try it.
I do not know the book you refer to.   A handy book on the species is
William J Webbs "The Pelargonium Family".  A more current publication and
more extensive are the three books "Pelargoniums of South Africa
vols.1,2,3." however they are not allways easy to find and are rather
expensive.
Back crossing to species is interesting but rarely do you produce any
improvement on the parent. Can be dissapointing. It all depends on whether
you have an aim in mind, perhaps trying to introduce the flowers of say
P.tongaense..   You have to contain your efforts to remaining within
sub-families, Zonals will only cross with members of the 'Ciconium' group or
sometimes with the Ivy group 'Peltatum' to produce Hybrid Ivies.  Regals
usually with the 'Pelargonium' group. Crosses outside of sub-families have
been reported but are rare and in many  cases questionable.
Regards,
Alby
Geraniaceae is all around the world
mail to:SCRIVENS@bigpond.com