New comer

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] New comer
  • From: Christian Feuillet <bihorel@concentric.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:54:06 -0500

Good day,

      I am a new comer in this list and would like to introduce myself
before I ask a question.

      I am 53, French, working as a botanist in the USA.  My wife is
American and my daughter, an avid soccer player, has dual citizenship.
      My main specialties at work are South American Gesneriaceae (NOT
Geraniaceae) and Passifloraceae.
      At home, in the greenhouse I grow mainly Gesneriaceae and
Passiflora.  In the garden my passions are Clematis, peonies, salvia ...
and a few Geranium and Pelargonium.  No Erodium at the moment.

My question is about one of the pots of Pelargonium.  The plant comes from
a cutting given years ago by a coworker who died a few months ago.  I call
it 'Susan Richardson' after her.  It is an old hybrid given to her by her
grandmother.  Does it have already a cultivar name?  The plant has 2 stems
and is growing straight up.  Currently one inflorescence is 1m70 above the
soil (5' 7"), it does not break because it is growing through the
greenhouse bench grid top.  The stems are not thicker than in the regular 2
year-old balcony Pelargonium I have.  This is the only Pelargonium I know
than could be a climber is tied to a support.  Petals are medium red with a
white base (white area larger on the 2 upper petals). (sorry, nothing can
replace a picture)

Thank you for your patience.

Christian Feuillet
Beltsville, Maryland, USA