Re: "Alpine Geraniums"

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] "Alpine Geraniums"
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:28:41 -0700

>Maria,
>
>I would be doubtful if there is any zonale  blood in the Balcons.  In
>fact the Balcons and peltatum
>look almost alike in foliage and growth habit.
>Brian R

OK I did the obvious thing and looked it up on the Web.  Here's a brief
>American visitors have always admired the colorful window boxes on Swiss
>homes. These planters are filled with mound of cascading ivy geraniums.
Gardeners want to know if these plants can be grown like that in our part
of the world. The answer is yes, if the proper growing conditions are
provided.

>The ivy geraniums seen in the Swiss window boxes or balconies are often
>the mini-cascade types of the Balcon or Balcon-type geraniums. Although
>they
begin to bloom a bit later and have smaller flowers than common ivy
geraniums, they are much more floriferous and become a mass of bloom
trailing two
feet from a window box, even on the north side of a house. The flowers are
"self-cleaning:" and do not require dead-heading.

(BUT, there is a zonale/ivy cross which makes a 'basket type' hanging plant.)

I stand very corrected :-0

Maria