Re: info needed for IGS member

  • Subject: Re: info needed for IGS member
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:36:55 -0700

>I am interested in purchasing another plant stand with lights.  The one
>that I like I found in  a recent Gardeners Supply catalog.  It is made in =
>Vermont.  Does anyone know the name of the company?   I am trying to find
>a more affordable price. I would appreciate any sources for plant stands
>or solutions to this problem from other members.  [SNIP]
>
>Pennypincher in Illinois
>Judy Cassidy

If you know someone who is handy with tools, he (I should add 'she' to be
PC) can knock up a long narrow table with supports at each end for a
fluorescent light fixture to hang from that costs very little.  I use a 4
foot shop light fixture from Home Depot with 4 tubes of Plant/Aquarium Full
Spectrum  lights (Home Depot again) and it's proved more than satisfactory
for starting seedlings and cuttings for the past year.  I drape long strips
of aluminum foil over the fixture to bounce back the light, plug it in when
I arise and unplug when I go to bed.  It isn't elegant but it sure is
cheap, and the warm foil serves as a clothes dryer for damp laundry as well!

Maria