Pests

  • Subject: Pests
  • From: Sandy Connerley sandyc@SURFARI.NET
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:39:19 -0800

Judy,

    They could be aphids, white fly eggs like Denise mentioned, or mealy
bugs.

    Can you just wash them off?  Are they on very many plants?

    I have used Spectracide Immunox plus - multi-purpose fungicide +
insect control.  It contains Myclobutanil for rust and Permethrin for
killing insects on contact.  It comes in an aerosol spray which I have
not used, but I mix 1 1/2 teaspoons in a two cup sprayer.

    I use this for the pelargoniums outside.  On the ones growing under
lights, I got tired of messing with things as a few years ago had a
terrible fungus gnat infestation - my fault for buying some infested
plants and bringing them inside.  At that time, I tried all the drenches
like Bt and Neem.  They cut them down, but it was neverending.  And,
they larvae do get into the stem!  So, I use the systemic Marathon  1%
granular by Olympic.  It is expensive because it if for greenhouse use.
 But, it lasts forever, and I put 1/4 teaspoon in the pots.  No bad
effects, no bugs.  Of course, if you were growing scenteds, you would
not want to eat the leaves!

    If you only have a few plants, I would certainly try washing first,
though.  Wish we could see pictures of the bugs.

Sandy