Re: Purple Heart

  • Subject: Re: Purple Heart
  • From: ECPep@AOL.COM
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:23:43 EST

In a message dated 1/26/04 11:33:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mirror@3RIVERS.NET writes:

> overwater.  Maybe it's just highly sensitive and hates winter (like me)?

Hello Maria,

I read your post and was thinking that plant of yours might need to be
discarded and give it's space to one that likes your conditions.

I campare it to Vancouver Centennial which is my nemesis.  There are great
red glowing pots of this in every pellie publication and on the west coast it
overflows containers handsomely.  But here in my winter plant conservatory it is
a terminal case every winter. I have purchased a dozen or more of this plant.
 I thought it would improve a winter collection of all green, lots of green

The color disappears from the weak sun, the roots become smaller and smaller
and will not support the top growth, leaves shrivel up and fall off.  I slice
off the best growth and place into my best rooting conditions and it develops
the dreaded black leg disease.  I will never buy another though it is common
in the ever improving greenhouses in our area every spring.  I look at the tags
and demand to know where these "bought in" plants are coming from because I
know that they do not like New York State.  This "easy" selection is featured
in every book and article on Pelargoniums.

So, get rid of Purple Heart.

On a happier note, I have a recommendation for those of us in Northern
climates in the US.  There is a hybrid called 'White Splash'  which will grow and
bloom and thrive all year around in the North.  It is a happy everbloomer and
roots easily at any time of the year.  As far as I can see, it is a sterile
blossom which may explain it's exuberance.  In summer it is covered with flowers
constantly and will multiply itself happily with little trouble.  When all the
other Pelargoniums are requiring some attention to having to live in the cold
North of the US, 'White Splash' is blooming away with no loss of leaf. Some
other pellies are healthy but none bloom as this one does.  It is part of a
series by some large hybridizer with the others in the series not as well
recommended as this one.  I root new plants every summer, late around the end of
August, and keep over smaller plants of all the Pelargoniums.

Mine is living at around 50-60 degrees F.  (10 - 15 C.) forgotten by the
watering can from time to time, about 10 inches from a window covered with ice and
still today has about six fully open blossoms with many buds below them.

I did not like the colors of this plant originally when given to me by a
friend who said that it was made for the North but one cannot everything and I
have grown to love the plant. It is a great companion for the winter bloom bulbs,
Hippeastrum and Veltheimia as it blends with those colors.  It looks good
with forced tulips.  By spring three or four rooted cuttings in an eight inch pot
is a small shrub.

Claire Peplowski
NYS US zone 4 awful cold winter, lots of snow