Clay

Thanks, all, for the input.  I am switching to clay pots for several
reasons.  They donít tip over and make a mess!  I have heard that the
moisture evaporating through the pot helps keep the roots cool.

I will be experimenting with adding some clay.  I donít plan to repot all
the time, and do like a soil that while not overly rich, will let the plants
get what they want when they want it.

Maria, what clay are you adding to the succulents?  It is commercially
available, or do you just get some clay soil and pasteurize it?  Or, is it
just part of the mix always?

Marge, thanks to much for the long and detailed information.  I think I had
read that white pots tend to get coated with algae or such and also let
light get to the roots.  It is easier to protect the pots from freezing than
overheating!

Gladys, good advice.

Sandy