Re: Clay

  • Subject: Re: Clay
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:43:37 -0700

>Maria, what clay are you adding to the succulents?  It is commercially
>available, or do you just get some clay soil and pasteurize it?  Or, is it
>just part of the mix always?

I just walk out in the alfalfa field in front of our house with a container
and collect the fluffy black soil thrown up around the gopher colonies that
live there.  (This is in spring or after the alfalfa has been cut.)  It
looks very rich; however if you add too much the pot might as well be
filled with cement after the first watering.  I add approx 10% by volume,
and include lots of pumice.  As for calcined clay pellets these are
available (or should be) at any nursery, big box outlet or hardware store
that also sells garden supplies.  I got mine at Ace Hardware in Choteau
labeled 'Shultz Soil Conditioner'.