Re: Clay

  • Subject: Re: Clay
  • From: Marge Talt mtalt@HORT.NET
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 04:05:01 -0500

> From: Sandy Connerley <sandy_connerley@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
> Marge, thanks to much for the long and detailed information.  I
think I had
> read that white pots tend to get coated with algae or such and also
let
> light get to the roots.  It is easier to protect the pots from
freezing than
> overheating!
----------

You're most welcome.  Well, that makes some sense...re: the white
pots.  I don't tend to favor them because they always look dirty:-)
 The article I read about using white containers said that one of the
plusses was that they helped prevent overheating.  I think they also
encourage roots to grow down instead of around and that may be
because of the light, now you mention it.  For the trees, they were
using a white grow bag sort of item because of the larger root
systems.  Need to go hunt that article up again.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers