Re: Colorful Miniature Pelargoniums

Hi Claire,

You certainly are in the cold country, but most people do not realize that all of California is not like southern California.  We have very diverse climates, from many mountains to the cold northern coast to the blazing hot great valley.  I am lucky to live in the Sierra Nevada foothills at elevation 2700 feet.  We get some snow and cold, but in the heated greenhouse things are ok except for the dampness.  However, in summer an evaporative cooler on a thermostat for the greenhouse with shade cloth is a must and the plants are just not happy during that season.

Can't wait to hear which cultivars you get.  Read an ad in the Hobby Greenhouse journal this winter for miniature and dwarf "geraniums"(Pelargoniums) - 125 varieties, mail order.  Free availability list.  Send request to Bob Begin, 889 Salem Rd., Dracut, MA 01826.

You also have Hobbs Farm and Greenery on your side of the US in Maine.  They got the old Merry Gardens stock plants.

Hope you will post reports.  Your emails are always very interesting.

Happy New Year
Sandy

ECPep@AOL.COM wrote:
In a message dated 1/2/05 11:07:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mirror@3RIVERS.NET writes:

> Since last night's thermometer showed -26 F and there's been a lot of
> overcast this winter, the amount of flowers my plants show is surprising.
> I've learned to discard those that are shy bloomers. This climate is the
> acid test believe me!

Always nice to hear from Maria because Maria is not in California. Please,
guys, say where from. Those of us in the north don't understand California
climate. We futz around (good NY phrase) in this cold country and try hard to
get some results so it is nice to see a place with the comment. My miniatures
don't bloom much at any season. I can see that I need to order some new cv's.

claire peplowski
upstate new york