[IGSrobin] Growing Geraniums in a humid climate

  • Subject: [IGSrobin] Growing Geraniums in a humid climate
  • From: RegalArt@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:38:15 EST

I got a mail from a Swedish lady living in Guatemala asking me how to manage to grow pelargoniums. I am   not used to these conditions. perhaps any of you could give her an answer. The translated e-mail goes as follows.

 "I love pelargoniums! The problem is that almost everyone says they are easy to grow, but the more you read you realize that it is not so. There is much at think about and it is not easy for a beginner. I am a bit special here, you know, because I live in Guatemala in an area that is at least 30 degrees Celsius all year round. 6 months drought and heat, and 6 months 100% humidity, heat and wet season. I've seen that people around here grow pelargoniums but I do not know how they're doing to get them to survive. All that I've tried have died, all. If they're so simple and like the sun, why do they die? You read that some do not like the sun, others will be under roof, some do not like water, others must have a lot of water, one can go crazy in the process. If you are an expert; how should I succeed in this climate? Would you be so sweet and kind and help me? Maybe I chosed the wrong variety? -are there resistant varieties? Oh well, you know for sure what´s the problem.