Re: [IGS] Seed Propagation of Hardy Geraniums

Hi Robin,

> Thanks for your reply.  I'd be afraid to use a razor blade to scarify
Thank you for your reply. I should be afraid to use single edge Razor
Blades but sometimes I don't learn tooo fast <G> . I have been known to
have the use of sharp objects taken away from me from time to time
because of my Knack for letting things slip. I've gotten better as I
grow older though :-) . I have heard of some growers using sandpaper or
Emery cloth to get the job done but I don't have any experience with
that method.

> I admire Thompson and Morgans marketing techniques, but if there is
> extra special about "Geranium pratense striatum 'Splish Splash'" why
are they
> using all those names, and why don't they tell us what is difference
between G.
> pratense 'Striatum' and their choice.  I thought one was only allowed
to have
> one to two descriptive epithets after the species.  I may be getting
out of my
> depth, but we are talking about a seed strain, so I'm not sure we can
even call
> it 'Striatum'. Should it be Striatum Seed Strain or Splish Splash Seed
>  I went back to look in Peter Yeo's Hardy Geraniums, and he lists it
> follows:
You could be very right about that. I get so confused at times with
taxonomy. I just get used to something being called one thing and then
it gets changed because someone thinks it fits better in another
class/family/genera etc. <sigh> I did notice however, that even though
T&M list this plant as "their" breed, Parks lists it as the very same
name but gives no credit whatsoever to T&M so I don't know what to think
. I think it would look good in my garden regardless ;-)
> I didn't overlook your question about regression to all-green of
> leaves in the Genus Geranium.  I thought it was worthy of a serious
reply.  If
> you wouldn't mind I'd like to give it some thought, or perhaps someone
Oh... Thank you for that consideration. I thought maybe it was something
you were familiar with already.

> would like to comment.  I'm not sure what causes variegation in
> leaves.  Certainly, G. phaeum 'Variegatum' and G. x oxonianum 'Margin
of Error'
> can become all green.  But why?
That is a very good question in itself. I've heard that sometimes a
species will sport or mutate because of stress of some sort. I know that
some breeders actually try to produce variegated strains by subjecting
the plant or seed to radiation of some sort. I've also read that
sometime a virus will cause a mutation . All of these things might
explain why many variegated cultivars will either revert at times or
atleast not breed true.
I know that my Lady Gray Plymouth wants to send out standard graveolens
shools from the roots that I have to keep on top of. Most of the time I
just cut them off the root ball and grow them as an extra Old Fashion
Rose. I've heard that Variegated Prince Rupert and Variegated Nutmeg
have a tendency to do the same but I haven't noticed that with my plants
yet. My Peach Scented has seemed to loose  quite a lot of its
variegation though. Light exposure can have something to do with this to
it seems.

> hybrids and color selection of geraniums, and I have no time to
> individual plants and hand pollinate them. Wish I had, but I don't.
I've toyed with the idea of breeding myself but I know what you mean
about time and space. It does sound like a fun thing to try sometime if
one had the resourses to do it.

Enjoying the discussion. Hope all is well where you live. Dale