Re: [IGS] Welcome

Hi Diane,
Thanks for the message from Eastern Oregon. I would really like having
all that land to grow plants with. I live on the Iowa/Illinois border so
I doubt that you raise 'MY" beef steaks ;-) .

I have heard of people overwintering their geraniums by hanging them
upside down in a cool place but I haven't been brave enough to try that.
I understand that it works better in the areas were the winters are not
so long as they are here (although this year has been remarkably mild).
Maybe if I have some extra plants next year that I would normally leave
out, I will experiment with this method. I keep most of mine under
lights or parked in front of windows in as small as pots as I can keep
them in until the following spring.

It's kind of hard not to get excited when the days start to warm up and
the daylight hours are longer. Isn't it remarkable how the plants can be
so forgiving of our mistakes most of the time. This fall I had an extra
Apricot scented that I decided to leave outside, and I was amazed at how
long it hung on. Many mornings I got up expecting to see it frozen
beyond repair and saw it just sitting there like nothing had happened. I
think it took a heavy snow and teen temperatures to finally finish it
off. I admit that I would be protecting them like you when I set them
out too early but I am amazed how they can fool us sometimes if we don't
..
Maybe the altitude you live at makes a considerable difference as to
survival rate outside though.

Have you ever taken those Ivy geranium prunings and stuck them in water?
I had a piece of my 'Nutmeg Lavender'  fall off this winter and decided
to throw it in a glass of water. I basically forgot about it until one
day I looked at it and saw a nice network of roots forming. I still have
it in the water (too lazy to pot it up <G> ) and by now the glass is
filling up with roots. I expected it to rot by now.

Keep us posted on how things are going in Oregon.

Dale