Re: [IGSROBIN] what on earth

Dear Robin and Alby,

We are not sleeping. We are waking! Neither the loss of Michael Jordan nor
the the inanities of Washington can distract us from our real interests.
Sunny weather has opened P. echinatum, P. praemorsum as well as a few
unnamed species I got from Michael Vassar just  few months ago. All are
lovely. The air is so dry that they need a good watering every few days. But
they seem to be enjoying conditions this Spring, with sunny days and cool

I heard a talk the other night by Carol Roller who said that blooms on
regals would be fewer this year because of lack of cold and to complete tip
pruning immediately or the chances of blooms forming there would be small. I
did not think this was a particularly mild winter. Any comments on the
temperature needs for bloom formation?

San Diego, California

"We seem to have rises and falls in activity.  Somedays we have quite a few
letters to read and then maybe nothing for 2,3 or 4 days and you begin to
wonder whether something is wrong and then all of a sudden away we go
again.  Some comments activate a good deal of comment, other none at all.
Sometimes we are all to busy coping with the weather or maybe something
special like Christmas.  Perhaps our American friends are all to stunned at
the loss of Mr. M Jordan from basketball."