[IGSROBIN] R: this time of the year;seeds!

Hello Ingrid!

Nice to hear you are trying hardy geraniums! :-))

I have better results from a late summer sowing, in the second half of
august, or even later. Germination times are shorter than in early spring
and the seedlings grow easily, enjoying our long, sunny but not "burning",
autumn.
If they look too frail by the end of november I recover the pots in a cold
frame, to spare them snow and frost. They are already wellrooted young
plants when our hot summer comes, so they tolerate the heat much better.
However I use to sow a few seeds from each packet in early
spring, saving the rest for late summer. "So I can compare the results" I
say to myself....but likely I only need to appease my spring anxiety :-)

Geranium psilostemon is really a giant in the family, but not in my backyard
where G.'Hollywood' and other x oxonianum hybrids are twice its height,
looking definitely at their ease in that heavy red clay.
So I ended up with growing G. psilostemon in a large pot filled with more
suited soil.

All the best,
Marisa
The Geraniaceae Group page is at