Re: [IGSROBIN] red crawlers

Phil,

You asked:

"Where are they crawling and are they eating holes in the leaves?  Also have
you noticed any adverse effects on any of your plants from the Isotox?  I
sprayed my entire collection with wettable power Orthene two weeks ago and
no signs of toxic effects on anything.  I'll spray again tomorrow due to a
few mealy bugs here and there.  I want to get RID of those !@#@$@##@ bugs!
Phil Bunch"

They are crawling on the main stem which, as you know with P. paniculatum,
is succulent. They were concentrated in the shrivelled top six inches of an
eighteen inch stem and were disguised by the crevices in the shrunken
surface. That is why I missed them - apart from the fact that they are
really small. By the way, they are more like 1 mm long and a fifth of that
wide. They are not eating leaves as there are no leaves to be eaten! The
plant did not come out of dormancy but started shrinking very slowly, at the
top.

So far, I have not seen any sign of damage by Isotox. I just hope I'll see
benefits. If I see any more signs I'll try Orthene or perhaps I'll try
Sunspray Oil, which I have found works well on a lot of insects. I do not
have mealies on any of my succulents just now, or any of the pels or sarcs
for that matter. But I have seen them on Eremophilas as well as young
amaryllids I'm raising. Isotox cleared them up on the woody Eremophilas but
the oil was more effective on the bulbs. It also took care of black aphis
that started to show up on my Oxalis which are in flower just now. By the
way, I am told there two types of mealies, those aboveground and those
below. With bulbs the latter is devastating. My tuberous pels are free of
pests.

Andrew
San Diego, California