[IGSROBIN] Geraniums from seed

Hello Ingrid,

After all the good advise you have got already, I like to add some
notes, based on own experience.

Fill a little pot (7cm) with a mixture of peat and sand, and lay the
seeds on the soil surface, in patterns so that you know where the
seedlings must occur. Compress soil and seed a little withe a flat peace
of wood or something like that. Cover the soil with little gravel of 1
mm, in a layer of say two millimeter. Water the pot, cover it with a
transparant plastic bag and place it on a slightly heated bottom.
Place a lable in the pot with the name of the seeds, the number of seeds
and the date.

Many seeds will germinate within one or two weeks.
Your G.psilostemon needs a special treatment because this seed needs a
period of cold (stratification). This is a very hard seed and it is
recommandable to harm the seeds a little with a peace of sandpaper
before sawing. Saw them as above and place the pot outside in the open
air. It may take sometimes a year before they germinate.

It is important to have enough light on the seedlings.
I start sawing in February and sometimes in January as I did this year.
The Italian seeds of G.rotundifolium (thanks Marisa) germinated after 5
days and G.cataractarum after 8 days and I am still waiting for
If there is no sign of germination after six weeks, I place the pot
outside and wait, sometimes there is a seedling after a long time, up to
one year or more. It is very useful then to have the information on the
label in the pot.

Success with the seeds of the Geraniaceae Group, it is my main source of
very special Geraniums and Erodiums.

Best wishes,