Re: Strong growers

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Strong growers
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:52:37 -0600

>The only other stellar I am growing in the ground at this time is Bird
>Dancer, which has formed a compact mound about 1.5 feet across.  The foliage
>is so dense that I prune out some of the inside branches to let in the light
>and air.  I have it in the border of the garden so it doesn't get lost by the
>larger growing plants.
I've had Bird Dancer in a pot - actually a series of larger pots - for at
least 12 years- and it is extremely vigorous in spreading habit.  I've
hacked it back and made innumerable cuttings and it always rebounds
quickly.  It's not known for flowering beauty but in the right light
conditions it makes up with profusion of blooms what they lack in
individual distinction.  It's also easy to root, which is more than I can
say for Vancouver Centennial.

Purple Heart is another stellar I got from Faye Brawner last year.  I love
it: not unlike VC but with much darker leaves.  Both of those need as much
sun as possible to bring out the distinctive coloration.  Unfortunately
here in New Mexico at 7,000' the UV is too harsh (not to mention the wind)
to leave them outdoors so I keep them in a window.  They actually look
better in winter.

I am hooked on stellars.  IMO foliage is as important as flowers, and these
are not as finicky as tricolors.