Re: Pelargonium tongalense

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium tongalense
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:21:23 -0600

>I planted some Pelargonium tongalense into the garden during the spring and
>they are performing very well. Lots of growth and starting to produce a
>fair number of flowers. Anyone else in a similar climate growing this one
>in the landscape? I'd like to get a fix on cold tolerance before October
Phil Bunch

P tongaense (note spelling) are from NE Natal.  They receive summer
rainfall of around 30", with warm, dry winters.  I suggest you grow several
from seed (which is said to produce a fuller, better-shaped plant more
quickly than a cutting) to hedge your bets.

I have one myself (grown from seed) in a pot.  They are ideal for windows
for they don't need sun, or at least only a minimal amount.