Important Notice - Changes to List Defaults

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Important Notice - Changes to List Defaults
  • From: David Barrett <david@1000feet.prestel.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:25:52 +0100

Hello all IGS Robiners,

Although junk e-mail seems something impossible to eliminate completely,
all of us would wish not to get it through this List. Over recent months we
have had a few items of Spam getting through, so I have tried to see how to
do something about it. It is impossible to keep out the really determined
anti-social person or corporation, because they can just try to join the
List. So lets hope I can see through a fake name from the email address.

When I joined, and later took over the management, of the List it was stated
that it was a plain text only, no mime, no html, no attachments vehicle. A
unknown but occasional vocal number of List members have these settings in
operation and get mail almost impossible to read for the unwanted extra
letters and symbols that fill up the message. Subsequent enquiries of List
members have brought back support for this, with only one exception. There
have now been a couple of changes to the List defaults to reinforce this.
Apparently it is impossible to completely exclude attachments from some
email clients which do not follow standard ways, so I cannot guarantee the
absence of gobbledygook for plain text List members. The Lists on the
listserv at St Johns are unsupported (no technical help), as part of the
free/no adverts facility, so if problems persist we have to move host. (I
have had advice from the listserv manger, as a one-off, for which I am very
grateful, but it cannot be repeated.)

Members of the List wishing to display pictures of plants have the option
of putting them on their own webspace and giving the URL
or sending them directly to me and I will put them on the IGS Robin webspace
www.pelargonium.net/igsrobin and announce the address to the List.

So please remember, all Lists members, from now on to send mail to the List
in plain text only, with no attachments. Thanks.

David Barrett
IGS Robin List Manager