Pelargonium ionidiflorum

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium ionidiflorum
  • From: "Laurie A.E. O'Meara" <Laurie@LAEOM.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:33:43 -0400

Hi Everyone :)  I recently purchased a plant the seller called Pelargonium
ionidiflorum.  When I looked it up on the Pelargonium page (thank you so
much for that resource Matija),  , it is in the section Reniformia and the
description is this:

"Reniformia

Erect to semi-decumbent subshrubs with herbaceous, rarely subsucculent
stems. Leaves simple, reniform, ovate or cordate, margins lobed, dentate,
crenate or crenulate. Inflorescence is a pseudoumbel. Petals white, pink,
mauve, purple to black, posterior two marked. Hypanthium 2-6x longer than
sepals, base thickened. Fertile stamens 7. Basic chromosome number, x = 8.
Further characters, on which the species are separated into a section are
pollen morphology and phenolic composition. See Pl. Syst. Evol.183 (1992)
83-97 for details. "

My question is this - is the plant still called Pelargonium ionidiflorum ?
or does the section name go in there also? An example of what I was thinking
is Pelargonium ionidiflorum sec. Reniformia.

Please excuse the cross post and thanks :)

Laurie

Laurie A.E. O'Meara
Artist and Horticulturist
Cape Cod, MA USA zone 7
http://www.laeom.com
Moderator/Owner -Geraniums and Pelargoniums at Yahoo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GeraniumsandPelargoniums/