Re: Pelargonium ionidiflorum

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium ionidiflorum
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:25:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/02 2:04:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Laurie@LAEOM.COM
writes:

<<
 My question is this - is the plant still called Pelargonium ionidiflorum ? >>

I do not have a taxonomically correct answer to your question but I do have
this plant.  I will not be keeping it over in the greenhouse, it needs more
light than we have in the north.  If you have what I bought with the same
tag, it is bright green,hairless leafed and has a tendency to become lanky
with browned up foliage at the base.  The flowers are delicate on long stems,
a good color though.  Label or tags vary a lot, I have learned that they are
not always to be trusted.

I think you asked earlier if anyone could recommend a winter keeper in the
dwarf species and hybrids.  I root cuttings of every one I have in May or
June and most of the time keep over new plants as the older plants become
woody around the base and are often unattractive.

Here are two that seem to escape that problem and I have kept at least three
years by shearing off to about two inches every spring and repotting.  I do
cuttings of these also.

1.  Pelargonium 'Bird Dancer'   (salmon pink single blossoms)
2.  Pelargonium 'Grossersorten' (salmon pink single blossoms)

Both are hybrids and both bloom a lot. They keep well over the winter and are
satisfying plants in the varying light we have in the Northeast.

I can't say that any of the others are stellar plants, some years they do
better than others.  I keep all of them under artifical light although I have
a glassed room.  Some years some will do very well, other years not.

This is the first year I am keeping 'Crocodile" over.  I don't know how large
this will grow but the flowers are very beautiful.

Just now the cuttings are all potted and I have many more than I need.  When
I go calling on a fellow gardener, a pelargonium is going with me.

I don't really know a lot about pelargoniums. They started to arrive here
when I discovered small plants could be kept and bloomed over the winter.
There are lots of them out there.  A great many will fit under one strip of
lighting so are an enoyable winter hobby.

Off this subject entirely is a question on 'Black Tartan".  Every BT I have
purchased has expired before the summer is half over.  Is this a growable
plant?

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4