Pelargonium triste

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium triste
  • From: Martin & Jip <martjip@HETNET.NL>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:17:13 +0200

Dear friends,

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to find P. triste at Tuingoed Foltz (a nursery) in Meeden, Groningen in The Netherlands. It was in a 10cm/4inch pot and had a few carrotlike leaves coming from a central base. The leafcolour is greyish green. The point is: what to do with it now?

In my opinion this plant should die down at some point, go to sleep and come to life again later on. But: is it going to do that spontaneously? Or should I stop watering at some point? Should I wait for it to flower? I would really like to keep it and as I'm not taking any risks it's indoors now, in a southfacing window in rather sandy soil. Any tips?

I feel like one of those stupid people who buy an exotic pet and suddenly realize they don't know how to care for it... My excuse is that I have quite a few pellies (cultivars and species)that do well, but this type is new to me. Please mail your suggestions! Thanks!

Jip Bieräugel, Alkmaar, Netherlands