Re: New member

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the group and congratulation on greenhouse space!  Geraniums are hardy members of the Geraniaceae family, for growing outdoors.  Pelargoniums are the tender members and would not survive your winters.  Pelargoniums have been commonly called geraniums and so the confusion.  There are several good books available, one that covers most things very, very well is Geraniums, The Complete Encyclopedia, by Faye Brawner.  It will answer lots of your questions and has many photos.

Regarding sources, mail order is pretty much it unless you live near a club that shares cuttings.  New Leaf Nurseries (California) has an availability list, Holt Geraniums has both an availability list and a grown to order type catalog.  P&J Greenhouses grows to order.  The last two are in Canada and shipping to the US is not a problem.  Geranium Alley is in Washington state and also grows to order.

If your were up to a trip to California in the fall, we are having an event called Pelargonium Madness with several of the biggest sellers and their plants.  One who does not do mail order will be there with some old regal cultivars.  It is an all day event with 5 short talks and a time to buy, sell or trade a few healthy and choice plants or cuttings.  If you are interested, I can send you the information or it will be out in the Summer Geraniums Around The World  journal.

The International Geranium Society also has a seed center for members and you might be interested.

So glad you love the plants and hope you can spread the word.

Again, welcome.

Sandy Connerley

Larry Cottingham <lcottingham@COX.NET> wrote:
Hello, I am a new member and just learning how to use this listserve. So if
I do something wrong please let me know and I will correct it.
My name is Caroline Cottingham and I live in Edmond, Ok, USA and since we
have ponds and koi thus my nickname, "koipondgal". I am also a certified
Master Gardener and I am in the process of rebuilding my greenhouse. I
asked my husband to re-roof my old one and could he possibly bump that wall
out a little? Wow, did he bump it out; I will now have room for all the
wonderful experimentations I have been wanting to do, not to mention the
space needed to overwinter all the tropicals from the ponds. Our weather
here in Oklahoma is pretty cold sometimes down in the negative teens.
This is my background to give you a little insight to where I am right
now.... in love with Pelargonium, geraniums etc. My only problem is getting
my hands on cuttings, seeds, or even plants of some of the more unusual
.....sometimes even the common pelargonium. I have been on a hunt for
Regals in any form (seeds, cuttings, or plants). Does anyone in this
message forum know of a place to order them? Help!
Pelargonium are new to me and I have been reading all I can get my hands
on. I have grown geraniums most of my life and have yet to know for sure if
a geranium is a pelargonium and visa versa. As you can see, I need help in
beginning my voyage into the Pelargonium world. Thanks for any information
you can share with me!
Caroline