Re: [IGS] Sarcaulon vanderietiae

-----Original Message-----
From: rhoades, collin <spiderjerusalem@DOOR.NET>

>My Sarcaulon has by far become one of my favorite plants even surpassing my
>new Brighamia. I noticed today the I believe it has begun to set seed. One
>of the flowers has lost all of its petals and has a large growth. How can I
>hand ploinate some of the other flowers.

A small paint brush or a piece of tissue or toilet paper rolled up to form a
small quill can be used to transfer pollen.
I always have used multiple clones but I do think S. vanderietiae will self.
Some of the other Sarcos have not selfed for me.

> Also how can you tell when the
>seeds are ready to be harvested and does the plant shoot off it seeds or
>anything I should be aware of. these may be odd questions but I do not know
>the ones to ask.

The seeds will change color and quickly spiral off into neighboring pots.  I
find that a bit of white glue put on the top of the awl allows the seeds to
mature but keeps them together for easy harvest.

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle Washington