RE: [IGSROBIN] `Mr.Wren´

"Mr. Wren" is a single zonal, not of very good form (that is, with rather
narrow petals, small florets and flower head, and somewhat spindly, lanky
growth habits) but with an appeal of its own anyway.  The plant I grew some
years ago came from a cutting of a plant I found growing in a vacant lot in
San Francisco (around 1969; the variety is quite a bit older than that).  I
guess there is some possibility that mine was not the original "Mr. Wren"
but a parallel mutation of some other single red variety.

I think the condition, in which the red-pigment-bearing tissues do not reach
the edge of the petals, represents chimeral variegation, like the
white-bordered leaves of many of our silver-leaved class of zonals.  I was
never able to get it to set seed, but I did not try very hard.  Chimeral
variegation is more likely to inherit through the seed parent than the
pollen parent.  The variety reminds me somewhat of "New Life," another
rather small-flowered, single red, in which the red petals bear stripes and
dots of white.

Barry Roth

> > Olaf Enderlein wrote: << I´m a student of horticulture in
> Dresden, Germany. I work on a report of the genus of
> Pelargonium. I´m looking for data about the variety `Mr.
> Wren´. How old is this variety? Where and when was found it?
> Who is the grower of `Mr. Wren´? Are there informations in
> the literature somewhere? I was very happy, if somebody could
> help me.  Thank you very much. >>
> Hello and welcome to theis list Olaf!
> Here is what I have in my files about P. x hortorom "Mr. Wren":
> A single flowered normal sized Zonal (P x hortorum cultivar type), not
> raised but found as a seedling with typical flowers in the garden of a
> guy called Mr Wren who lived in the state of Connecticut, USA. The
> flower is pinkish-orangee with a distinct broad white edge. I do not
> have a date on this cultivar, hopefully some one else knows this.
> --
> Mimy Sluiter
> cats: <http://welcome.to/Manx> mailto:manx1@wxs.nl
> politics: <http://welcome.to/d66.noordholland> mailto:m.sluiter@d66.nl
> phone: +31-[0]35-6920501 / cellular phone: 06-25136244

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com