Re: off topic: spam mail

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] off topic: spam mail
  • From: Mimy Sluiter <manx1@WXS.NL>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:32:22 +0200

Diane Soares wrote: << I apologize for sending to the whole list, but I
don't remember who the "complaint dept." is.  I have received spam mail
from a yahoo address sent to this list.  How did my email address from
IGSRobin wind up in a spammer's computer? >>

It did not, the spammer subscribed to the list with the yahoo account
and then the listserv distributed the spam sent automatically to all of
us. I already sent off a message to the yahoo-abuse adress containg the
full header and cc'd the list owner. These things can be avoided by no
longer allowing anonymous yahoo and hotmail adresses and a welcome
message so before approving a subscription people must reply with their
name and a valid provider's adress. I assume that David in themean time
already removed the spammer from the sub list.
Mimy Sluiter