Re: Capillary Matting

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Capillary Matting
  • From: Brian Roth <sevenmi@DNC.NET>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:36:41 -0700

I set up several benches ( 6' X 12' pallets actually) with cap mats for
Zonals this spring.  We used a commercial product "Bottom Up", but it
would be easy to emulate at home.

First, you need a nice flat, level surface -- don't want puddling.  The
bottom layer is a heavy plastic.  The middle is a felt type of
material.  The top layer is a woven plastic material.

The mat should hang over (a portion of) one side or end of the bench.
This wicks off excess water, and in combination with that top woven
layer really minimizes algae and fungus gnats.

The pots need to be top watered initially to create the water column
needed for capillary action.  And rewatered from the top if the pots
gets picked up.  Or if everything goes bone dry one day.
This system will not work if you still use gravel in the bottom of pots
for "drainage", or a piece of crock to cover the drainage hole.

This worked well, plants were not soft like I had feared.  Will be doing
more for next year -- these will be a cross between flood and cap mat.

Brian Roth
Oregon, usa