Re: IGSROBIN Digest - (#2002-63)

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] IGSROBIN Digest - (#2002-63)
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:39:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/02 5:22:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Laurie@LAEOM.COM

<< 1. Hi Claire :)  Thanks- I was wondering if most are done by cuttings.  I
 had looked at Holt's website (and of course came up with a long list-lol)
 I'll check again around here first, and at the other two- I'm familiar with
 Logee's but I haven't ordered from them, and I'll check Blue Meadow. >>

Blue Meadow is in Montague, Mass.  The owner is Brian McGowan and he has
stock plants that he would probably show you if you are an interested buyer.
This a rare plant nursery that is over and hour's drive for me but I gut over
there once or twice each spring.  They do cutting of some each spring and had
a good selection this year.

There is no place that I know of in the New England area that sells
pelargoniums outside of bedding plants in any quantity or diversity.  If you
find one, please post it.  Also species plants are always hard to find.  The
CT. cactus and succulent group have a show each spring and sometimes you find
a plant there or least a connection.  It would not be a long drive for you.
Merry Gardens in Maine, which used to be a Logee relative, is started again
and is carrying pelargoniums.

I keep my plants in small pots and keep out of the weather as we have a lot
of wind and rainy periods that sometimes rot the smallest plants which seem
to have equally small root systems.  Mainly I want them for winter interest.
I keep them in a conservatory type room and to keep them healthy use lights
all winter.  Etoliation is a problem here even with glass everywhere, hence
lights.  I use halogen lights now as they both light and heat the the
conservatory space.  Many of them bloom all winter.

If a plant decides to grow several feet high, I cannot keep it if I cannot
keep it down to a more reasonable size due to the space required.

For seeds of species and succulent species, try Sillverhill Seeds, on the
web.  Due to new seed regulations you may have to deal with phyto certs but I
think they have this problem worked out.  They do seem to be selling in the
US.  Silverhill is in South Africa and 100% reliable.

So many plants to try!

Claire Peplowski
NYS zone 4 - upstate near Mass.line